Friday, June 3, 2011

How do I hook a thermostat to an outside wood burning furnace?

I have a USSC Hotblast 1400 and my existing furnace isn't functional anymore, I have the stove hooked into the existing duct work and the stove is warming the house (but a little too much) I want to hook a thermostat to the stove so that the blowers only kick on when the temp in the house reaches like 70 degrees but the thing is I have no idea how to even attempt this. Can anyone help me?How do I hook a thermostat to an outside wood burning furnace?You can use a thermostat designed for hot air distribution which is 110 volt. if the blower is 220 , then u can use a thermostat used for electric baseboard heaters.



Just interupt L1 that controls the motor. How do I hook a thermostat to an outside wood burning furnace?You will need to hook the thermostat to a low-voltage relay which has the capacity (i.e. contacts capable of switching 120 VAC at about 10 amps) to switch the blowers on.



It will require a thermostat, DC power supply capable of driving the relay, a secure enclosure to house the relay and wiring, and the skills to wire it safely.



You might check with the stove manufacturer and see if they have any suggestions for automating the blowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment