Friday, September 23, 2011

How long should my A/C run before it's reaches the thermostat setting.?

My A/C wasn't working today. I check the unit outside and the pipe running to it was frozen. I turned it off until it completely melted. When I turned it back on it took it 30 minutes to go from 80 degrees to 76. I let it run for 30 minutes at a time until it's now down to 72; which has taken about 4 hours. But when I set the thermostat just to the point where it turns on it will run for 30 minutes and I have to turn it off again because I'm afraid it's going to freeze up again. What could be the problem?How long should my A/C run before it's reaches the thermostat setting.?From your description it sounds like the evaporator coil (indoor coil) is freezing up. This can be caused be many different things.



First start with the simple things. Check your filter if it is dirty it will reduce the amount of air flowing over the coil. This can cause it to ice up. Also if you are using one of those high efficiency filters they tend to really restrict the air flow. Try using a good old fiberglass filter.



Check to make sure all your supply vents/dampers are open. Having lots of them closed will also restrict air flow and can lead to icing.



If all those things don't help it is time to call an HVAC tech. It is then likely that the evaporator coil is being starved of refrigerant. This can be caused by a bad/plugged metering device or if your system is low on refrigerant. Only a competent tech can diagnose the problem.



Good luck.How long should my A/C run before it's reaches the thermostat setting.?you need a a/c man to top up your Freon, this is the gas that cools your a/c .

should only take about 15- 20 min to cool downHow long should my A/C run before it's reaches the thermostat setting.?The outside unit chills the freon and sends it to the inside unit. The inside is supposed absorb the heat from the air running across it's coils and send the hot freon out to be cooled. The inside coils are not getting enough air over them. Filter dirty, or many dirty filters caused the coils to clog up.How long should my A/C run before it's reaches the thermostat setting.?Clean your coils?

ensure your fan is working on the furnace?

Vents plugged?

No comments:

Post a Comment