Friday, September 23, 2011

My central air does not power up. I think it is the thermostat. How can I check if a thermostat working or not?

No sound from the compressor or the air blower neither. I checked the fuse outside and reset the circuit breaker. Nothing works so far. I want to check if the thermostat is the problem. Any idea how to determine if a thermostat working or not. Thanks.My central air does not power up. I think it is the thermostat. How can I check if a thermostat working or not?You need to use a voltmeter to check the wiring for power. If power is coming in, but never going out then the thermostat is bad. Of course it could be a problem with the wiring inside the ac unit itself.My central air does not power up. I think it is the thermostat. How can I check if a thermostat working or not?Two easy methods come to mind, one is to take the thermostat off the wall and disconnect one of the two wires that goes back into the wall, and eventually wind up at the furnace/AC in the basement, and touch it to the other wire connection. If the unit fires up then the thermostat wasnt' working, (in effect all you're doing is bypassing the switch function of the thermostat). Or you can go to the furnace/AC and find the power box and do basically the same thing on that end. You stand less chance of getting an electrical shock if you do it at the thermo in the living area, as they only work off 24 volts.My central air does not power up. I think it is the thermostat. How can I check if a thermostat working or not?turn on the switch that looks like a light swith on the side of the furnace



now go to the thermostat and turn the %26quot;fan%26quot; switch to ON



fan come on then you know your transformer is good in the furnace..fan doesn't come on then check the transformer for 24 volts on the secondary side





another check would be to remove the thermostat cover and jumper the Y terminal to the RC terminal....compressor and condensing fan should come on outside (don't leave it like this for long)



now try the RC to the G terminal.....indoor blower only should come on in the furnace



If all of these things work, but none of them work by using the thermostat like it's supposed to be used then it's probably badMy central air does not power up. I think it is the thermostat. How can I check if a thermostat working or not?turn the fan switch from auto to on and that will let you know if its got 24 volts,the only way i check them is remove the face plate and use a jumper wire between the red and the yellow or green yellow(condenser) %26amp; green (fan) if either one powers up the you know its getting low voltage and its most likely the thermostat badMy central air does not power up. I think it is the thermostat. How can I check if a thermostat working or not?oh this smells like a bad transformer. that's the little box that turns 120 volts into 24 volts to the t-stat. it's called a 5:1 step down transformer, (120 divided by 5 equals 24). to check it you will need a volt meter. the meter should read 120, or close to it, in, and 24 out, with the power on. of couse, as you know, you can always call someone to look at it. GL with it. jim

No comments:

Post a Comment