Monday, September 19, 2011

I'm converting a freezer into a smoker and I need to wire in a thermostat to control the 1000 watt burner?

Most people tell me to go and get an old oven thermometer but those thermometers are made for 220V and of course my heating element is 110V. How do I make two compatible? Also I need a heating range from 90 deg to 200 degrees, will an oven thermostat be able to accommodate such a low temperature?I'm converting a freezer into a smoker and I need to wire in a thermostat to control the 1000 watt burner?you will need a small bulb receptacle and a 110 volts low wattage bulb eg. 20watts. once you series the this between the thermometer and the filament, 110 becomes 220 and 220 becomes 110. there is also another way to do this, you can use two filament in a series that will become 220 volts. 110 +110. 90 degrees in centigrade is the minimum operating temperature for most oven thermostat.I'm converting a freezer into a smoker and I need to wire in a thermostat to control the 1000 watt burner?If the thermostat is purely mechanical (Clicks on and off without electricity connected) it will work just fine for 110v. I have used a propane torch to test thermostats like this, just be very careful that you don't over heat it while testing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment