Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do I replace the thermostat in my house?

I'm in Southern California. It's the old fashioned kind of thermostat, round, the house is probably about 30 years old, the old thermostat is marked PAYNE, it still works but only has settings for heat. They replaced the furnace with a heating %26amp; fan function only type of furnace but didn't replace the thermostat 3 years ago, at that time the landlord says cost $2000 so I'm hoping its a good furnace. The house is a 2 bdrm/900 square feet duplex. I want to put in a thermostat that has the function of %26quot;fan,%26quot; the old one doesn't but the installer told me that the new furnace does have the function to run the fan only. The replacement I've got is a Robertshaw CM84 Heat %26amp; Cooling Thermostat (cheap one), which has a COOL - Off - HEAT setting, and for the FAN it has AUTO %26amp; ON. I want to know if it's possible to install it and use it to do the fan only, does the wiring in the house have to be originally set up for the fan only setting? It's an old house. Haven't removed the old Payne yetHow do I replace the thermostat in my house?If you are mechanically inclined and have no problems reading directions, then the answer is yes. However, I personally would not use the previous wires, but would measure the the old length, and install a new multiwire cable (check the directions on the T-Stat to see how many connections are required). You can either surface run the cable, or fish it through the wall. Your choice! You can tape or cap off the wires you don't want to connect. It would be just as simple to connect the wires for heat, but just don't use that function. Follow the color code of the wires, to help you make the right connections.How do I replace the thermostat in my house?TAKE THE OLD ONE OFF AND LOOK AT THE WIRES YOU HAVE TO SEE IF IT MATCH UP THE NEW ONE ..... IF SO IT SIMPLY MATCHING COLORS. IF NOT YOU MAY NEED TO RUN A DIFFERENT WIRE. KEEP IN MIND AS YOU WORK ON IT TO REMEMBER THE ORIGINAL SET UP SO IF NOTHING WORKS YOU CAN PUT IT BACK......THEN CALL A LOCAL PRO.How do I replace the thermostat in my house?im guessing your old stat is a honeywell t87 most likely it is only a two wire stat but that really aint my point.....my point is why bother to replace something that works well.....if you just want some air circulation, go but a fan.....a little box fan pulls about 1/2 an amp of current while the blower on the furnace pulls about 5 amps.....bottom line is dont mess with a good thing
  • dog
  • acrylic nail set
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment